These brownies are… weelll… they don’t really taste like brownies, but they are very useful to satisfy a chocolate craving or a banana craving… while being EXTREMELY healthy at the same time.
Health value: 4/5 (1 cup of sugar is ALOT… to me)
Oat Bran Brownie-Bar
adapted from “Secrets of Fat -free Baking”
Makes 16 servings
|Oat bran||1 cup|
|Cocoa powder||1/3 cup|
|Mashed bananas||¾ cup (about 1 ½ large)|
|Vanilla extract||1 tsp|
|Baking powder (optional)||½ tsp|
|Semi- sweet Chocolate chips||1tbs|
1. Combine the oat bran, cocoa, baking powder and sugar, and stir to mix well. Stir in remaining ingredients.
2. Use your CLEAN fingers or a pastry brush to spread some applesauce on the interior of the baking pan(s)
3. Using a sieve, or your fingers, sift/ sprinkle the cocoa powder to cover all the spread applesauce. (Applesauce ≈ butter & Cocoa powder ≈ flour)
4. Spread the batter evenly in the pan and bake at 160°C for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the edges are firm and the centre is almost set.
5. Cool to room temperature, cut into squares and serve.