I wonder if bananas do make people smart. I really hope so! Been making banana bread for the past few days. I hate eating bananas but love banana bread/muffins/cakes. Hey, I’m sure I ‘m not the only one!
This banana bread was made with 100% risk of me having to polish them off myself… or wasting them. I showed my mum a photo of some monkey bread onling and she dismissed them as plain “ugly”. My dad… ha… a traditional Chinese what was I thinking…
there is always a BUT. IT TASTED DELICIOUS! and it was, as usual HEALTHIER. Note, not healthy but healthier. The tons of sugar (aka empty calories) makes it so. But who cares? The eater is happy. My mum likes it (says its really ‘special’ — to a Chinese I guess…and ‘not bad’) My dad says its ‘okay’. And me? I polished off 3/4 of it (not all in one go of course).
Here’s the recipe.
Monkey Bread Makeover
|Instant Yeast||1 tsp|
|Non-fat milk powder||1 tbs|
|Bread Flour||1 ½ cup|
Note*: Your banana must be EXTREMELY ripe—black all over. If yours isn’t, you can nuke your bananas in a microwave oven/electric oven for 5 minutes at 200°C (or lower depending on how ripe your banana is)
1. Mash the banana and mix it with the water. Combine dry ingredients and mix in a separate bowl.
2. Mix the banana mixture into the dry ingredient mixture slowly. Knead till a smooth soft dough forms.
3. Place in a lightly floured bowl and cover with a wet cloth. Leave to rise for 1 ½ hour until the dough doubles in size
|Cocoa powder||¼ cup|
|Brown sugar||½ cup|
In a small bowl, mix all topping ingredients together evenly.
Preparing the pan
|Applesauce||1 tbs (or more depending on size of pan)|
|Cocoa powder||1 tbs (or more depending on size of pan)|
4. Use your CLEAN fingers or a pastry brush to spread some applesauce on the interior of the baking pan(s)
5. Using a sieve, or your fingers, sift/ sprinkle the cocoa powder to cover all the spread applesauce. (Applesauce ≈ butter & Cocoa powder ≈ flour)
|Applesauce||2 tbs (or more)|
6. Cut the dough into 20 pieces. Roll each small piece of dough into a small ball and coat it lightly with applesauce with your fingers. (Make sure you have CLEAN fingers) Then dip the balls, a few at a time into the topping mixture and completely coat them with the mixture. After completion, you may lick your fingers and then wash them. 😀
7. Cover with a wet cloth and let rise for another hour in a warm place (I do it in an oven that has a large cup of hot water in it)
8. Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes at 180°C.