Cream cheese is super super super super expensive in Singapore, unless you are one of the >80,000 millionaires or their family members…
Anyway, I discovered that WOW I can make my own… which tastes absolutely gross and disgusting (like those American school cafeteria food we see in movies) without any sugar or salt. I guess that’s normal…
I showed my cream cheese to my father and he asked me where I bought it. And then tactfully hinted that he would like some of yesterday’s banana coffeecake. Well, cream cheese… if only my coffeecake had cream cheese frosting!!!!!!!
Homemade Cream Cheese
|Milk (Low fat/ skim)||1 litre|
|Citric acid||1 tsp|
|Warm water||½ cup|
- Pour milk into a pan/pot and heat till it boils. Switch off the stove.
- Dissolve the citric acid into the warm water and immediately pour this mixture into the hot milk
- Wait PATIENTLY for 5 SHORT minutes for the milk to curdle (this step is amazing! seconds after pouring the water+citric-acid, the whiteness of the milk sinks!)
- Ignore your impatience and pour the mixture through a sieve (with EXTREMELY SMALL HOLES) or a cheesecloth that is covering a large bowl
- The stuff in the sieve/cheeseclot is your pre-cream-cheese
- dump your collected pre-cream-cheese into a blender (with 1 tbs of whey– stuff left behind in the bowl) and blend till smooth and VOILA you get lovely lovely cream cheese and start wondering what the hell you are going to do with it 😀
oh, please remember to keep cream cheese in a tighly sealed container. Use immediately or else freeze it. We don’t want mould to grow. Trust me its gross.